1. What are the operating hours of Penang Hill?
Open daily, Penang Hill ticket counters operation hours begin from 6.15am to 10.00pm. The funicular service starts from 6.30am and the last service is at 11.00pm from Upper Station. For more information, please visit: http://www.penanghill.gov.my/index.php/en/tickets.html
2. What time do the vendors of upper station begin their operations?
Vendors at Upper Station area are typically open from 9.00am to 7.00pm.
1. How much are Penang Hill funicular ticket prices?
Penang Hill funicular ticket prices are listed in the official website of Penang Hill http://www.penanghill.gov.my/index.php/en/tickets.html
2. Where can I purchase the funicular ticket?
Ticket purchases can be made at the ticket counter located at Lower Station or online via http://www.penanghill.gov.my/index.php/en/tickets.html
3. What is Fastlane?
Penang Hill Funicular Service fast lane ticket is a premium ticket allows accessing a dedicated lane for visitors who are in a hurry or have limited time to visit Penang Hill.
4. What are the privileges of online purchases?
Online purchase is encouraged to maximize your visit as a guest can collect their tickers at designated counter (No.7/ No.8) and avoid the hassle of queuing to buy tickets.
5. Can I change my visit date?
6. Can I get a refund for cancellations?
Tickets redeemed are NOT REFUNDABLE.
7. I am bringing my 3-year-old daughter with me. Does she need a ticket?
Admission is free for children below 4 years old and they must be accompanied by an adult.
8. Are there any special discounts?
PHC offers a subsidized rate to those that provide a valid Malaysian Resident ID (MyKad/MyKid/MM2H/Work Permit etc) when purchasing at the ticket counter.
9. If I am a MyKad holder but my spouse is not, is he/she entitled to the subsidized rate?
Yes, but ONLY for those with a valid Resident ID in Malaysia.
10. Does the funicular ticket include entrance fees to other attractions on Penang Hill?
Tickets are only for the funicular service and visitors are free to explore Penang Hill. However, visitors who wish to visit other privately-operated attractions on the hill may be charged an entrance fee.
11. Is the sunrise/sunset rate available daily regardless of the school holiday season or public holidays?
No, they are NOT. For “Sunset-Sunrise” rates’ availabilities, kindly check our website at http://www.penanghill.gov.my/index.php/en/tickets.html
12. Do students and school groups get any concessions?
For walk-in students, no special rate is provided. However, PHC supports educational institutions with school group concessional rates. All applications must reach us no later than 5 working days prior to the date of the visit. Please visit our website at http://www.penanghill.gov.my/index.php/en/tickets.html for more information on how to apply for the concession rates.
13. How long is the queue during peak season?
This depends on the number of visitors. PHC has introduced E-boarding system, which is designed to ease queue lines by assigning a specific time to queue in the designated boarding zones according to the batch number displayed on the ticket receipt. The time slot is determined upon ticket purchases.
1. What are the attractions and activities on Penang Hill?
For further information kindly visit http://www.penanghill.gov.my and you may also download our digital visitors guide by clicking here Some of the attractions on the hill are privately operated, visitors who wish to visit these attractions may be charged an entrance fee.
2. Do I have a time limit to visiting the top of Penang Hill?
No, there is no time limit as long as it is within our operation hours which are from 6.30am to 11.00pm. Last funicular service is 11.00pm from the Upper Station to Lower Station.
3. Can we drive our own car up to the hilltop?
No, you may not. This requires approval from both JKR and PHC. Vehicles are permitted only for residents, business owners and contractors for the hill.
4. What are the alternative transportations available on Penang Hill? How much do they charge?
As an alternative, guest may opt for the jeep service from the Botanical Garden and the charges are approximately RM160.00 (return trip for 4 persons). This service is privately-operated.
1. How to go to Penang Hill?
For ease of travel, you may locate Penang Hill by using Waze or Google Maps. Just key in the following options; “Penang Hill Lower Station”, “Penang Hill Cable Car Station”, “Penang Hill Train Parking Station”, “Bukit Bendera Skyline”, “Bukit Bendera Cable Car Station” as your destination and the GPS will lead you directly to Penang Hill Funicular Railway Station.
Please Do Not Just Key-In “Penang Hill” only as it will lead you to the Botanical Gardens.
Alternatively, you may opt for public transport, such as Rapid Penang buses (204), Penang Hop-on and Hop-off buses, Taxi or Grab.
2. What is the length of the funicular railway from Lower Station to Upper Station?
The funicular track is approximately 2km in length from the Lower Station to the Upper Station. It is one of the longest funicular tracks in Asia.
3. How many passengers can the funicular accommodate?
The Funicular can accommodate approximately 100 passengers per trip.
4. Can they get off at the middle station?
Yes, they can BUT only designated trips as per schedule, for further information please proceed to the information counter.
5. Can I eat and drink inside the funicular?
Food and drinks are NOT allowed to be consumed inside the funicular. However, passengers can bring them into the funicular provided that the packaging is intact. Please take note that DURIANS ARE NOT ALLOWED to enter the funicular coaches. Penang Hill also offers a variety of dining options for everyone. It is an opportunity to explore the gastronomical delights that Penang Hill has to offer.
6. Can I smoke inside the funicular?
Smoking is NOT allowed inside the funicular. Please take note that Penang Hill is gazetted as a non-smoking zone.
7. When is the bi-annual maintenance?
The funicular service will be shutting down during the bi-annual maintenance that is typically held around Jan/Feb and Jun/July. For more information please visit http://www.penanghill.gov.my
8. How long will it take if they were to go up to the Upper Station by hiking?
Duration of a hike up to the Peak of Penang Hill depends on the fitness levels of the hiker and the hiking trail being used. Typically, a hiker can take between 1.5 hours to 3 hours to reach the peak from Lower Station when using the Heritage Trail.
9. How long does it take the funicular to reach from Lower Station to Upper Station?
A minimum of 4.5 minutes.